Monday 6 February 2012

We're jammin'

Gratifying as it is to achieve the recognition of one's peers, elders, betters, wisers... this post is about recognising when we make brave choices & highlighting how our lives are enriched when we do so. I have seen this in others so frequently over the last week or so. Despite muscle aches, lack of sleep, & not packing a hat for this week in London (brrrrrr!) it continues to be an unadulterated pleasure to walk (& dance!) on this earth.
Last weekend I had the privilege of compering and singing at DJam, a highlight on the UK Swing weekender calendar, & it brought a lovely end to my first & longest residency whilst on the road for my year of dance (& related activities). It's been a pleasure to start my year with Lindy Jazz & I look forward to next year's DJam!

A breath in between killer teacher social dances...

European Blues Invasion was at once uplifting, humbling & eye-poppingly stunning. It is not an underestimation to say that it has changed the way I will move forever. Not one to be shy at getting down I was surrounded by many likebodied others & from the moment the first class kicked off I just knew I was home. Whoever said you can't live on the road and still have one hasn't met this crew!

For those of you that want to see what I'm on about check the feedback & feel the love on facebook.
Watching & getting into solo dance offs (called cutting) at a level I've only previously seen onscreen really was something - the vibe in there was MASSIVE! Whilst I have wicked admiration for our visiting instructors who keep this alive at world class cutting edge level, an even bigger shout has to go to people who'd never done this before - including beginners - who all went in with serious attitude & kicked ass!
Oh and yours truly made it into the Finals in my first Blues Jack & Jill competition too - that was a seriously fun comp! ... If you are reading this and are in possession of a cool image or video from the jams or parties, then post away here!

Swingin' out between singing and MCing!
I took the plunge and did a dance clinic in public (where you get a mini private lesson whilst people watch you). If you ever thought those watching would be looking for your flaws, I can tell you I only felt respect and admiration at going first (or even at all). I picked up some great pointers as did the whole group. Which brings me neatly back to making brave choices and being proud to do so - we hear phrases like no pain no gain & throw them away, but ALL the instructors were inspirational to me and not just because of what they can do now. It's the commitment they've consistently made over the years to get where they are & that they encourage those following in their awesome footsteps to be courageous too. I had a moment on the dancefloor last night where time literally stood still & I suddenly cried in joy at how my life is moving forward. Whenever I am asked why I put up with with 4 hours sleep or less per night for days on end whilst working it for 15+ hours per day I can only reply thus: The freedom, connection & courage that we build through dancing...? Priceless.

So, adieu til next time, when I report back from my first Balboa class with Jeremy & Laura tomorrow night & head off to pass that inspiration onto dancers in Sheffield.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you've said about the inspiration gained from the teachers and their commitment to their growth, and their encouragement of ours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks H. You were an inspiration too, jumping into the jam! Me? I'm off to the US to party & learn more with these guys for the last quarter of my roadtrip! x

    ReplyDelete