Sunday 13 November 2011

Safety in Rumbas

Reflection & gratitude have been strong themes for me these last 2 weeks**

To honour those lost in conflict, a moment's silent reflection was due from me this morning & on Friday, as it is every year.
Having now had a glimpse into living in this world with a physical impairment I can tell you that in the words of Little Britain's Andy, I "Don't like it!". Of course, I'm not faking though!

No more popping back upstairs to grab that pen I left on the side. And never mind leaving my mobile behind!!... Life has to be SO much more prepared in advance, and everything - yes everything! is a logistical challenge...

All in all, I'm telling myself for the most part I wouldn't change anything. This chapter has forced me to be (even more) OK with accepting & requesting help, & knowing it's temporary, however frustrating, means soon it will have passed. There will be a time when I look back & laugh how I almost cried at how much I'm missing out on.


I also extend my gratitude to my team of dancers and co-ordinators here. They are successfully assisting me to run a fantastic Friday night's Swing dancing for beginners and beyond at Washington. I'll be back cracking the whip soon enough, so enjoy the relaxed pace whilst you can!

As well as honouring those who made the ultimate sacrifice this week, I am raising a toast to my mum today. She lost her brother on Friday, & will face a tricky few weeks ahead.  Once I arrive in Edinburgh tonight to meet up with my lovely dancing friends at bluesFusion, I'll certainly raise the finest single malt I can find. Or, I might see if there are any quality rums on offer - The Rum Diary is next on the list for date-night movie!


**Not so much gratitude to this software which lost my last 2 posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment