Wednesday 26 October 2011

The early days...


Do you ever make promises that you have every intention of keeping, but then somehow, events occur, distractions abound, time runs away...? It happened to me this week, but more on that later!! The promise I am keeping right now is to begin my blog and as you are taking the time to read it, as many of you promised you would, "it's all good!"

So, why this blog?
I have done the unthinkable - given up my house, most of my possessions and the (albeit part-time & my only ever) dayjob, and set myself the goal of travelling light for 1 year. The express purpose of which is to push my dancing and performance to their absolute limits. The distractions of homely delights (& housework!) needed to be minimised as I am a simple soul.

Currently chaneling Dorothy Parker, (prized author and grand wit who resided at the infamous Algonquin Hotel NYC, which I aim to visit during this imposed year of no fixed abode!), I resign myself to a maximum of 2 small cases of clothes, a portable PA - well, you never know when you might need one! - and ofcourse some quality booze! The current tipple being honeyrum, FYI.

A bit of Charleston!
As one that oft deals in complex ideals, has ethics and integrity but is still simple underneath it all, the distractions of much of modern life - this season's must have outfit, co-ordinating linens, who's who on the X-Factor, just don't mean the same to me as they seem to to other people. I make no judgement on those that appear to be able to balance those things with self-fulfilment, as I know there are plenty of you out there too! I just know in order for me to excel, I need my days simple, my amount of choices limited, and my injuries to heal quickly!

I refer to my current injury - torn ligaments across my entire left foot - as it impedes my dancing abilities, and being as the main purpose of this year's tour is to 'max out' my dancing achievements, it's not the best ever start! Mind you, nor was being so distracted by normality (unpacking!) the other day that I arrived at my first teaching engagement with only seconds to spare before the cavalry jumped in! The saying goes 'the only way is up' so I'll leave that there...

So I make this promise to myself & you dear reader, to go headlong into the next 365 days, with a literal swing in my step, to regularly update you with the challenges & the successes, & to most of all, to stay on the road, chaneling Dorothy & championing the dances of the era she lived at the Algonquin - namely, the Prohibition years! After all, it don't mean a thing...

4 comments:

  1. only spotted one typo - excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chuck, will follow this with joy and some envy, enjoy every minute! Ian Hill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thus begins a venture!

    Hope the leg heals up quickly so you can get back to pushing the limits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheers for the comments lovely guys! 109 views as I type, though some of you say it's not easy to post on here... at any rate, I've got the next instalment prepped for you, but patience! go forth & enjoy your Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete