Monday 10 September 2012

North Sea Spoiled!

Forgive me, dear reader, for the delay since last we conversed, the parting I admit though, has been such sweet sorrow.

This blog dates from a way back but was thwarted just before posting by lack of proper pc access. I'm posting it after a challenging month with phone only access because I like writing and sharing  & I hope you enjoy it. ... Take yourselves back to PreOlympiad times when this was written....

I've been filling my time with dancing (newsflash), this time in Paris, Amsterdam, Rotterdam & The Hague. Made an appearance at a fabulous new venture recently launched in my home city, the Whim Wham cafe). Gin Saloon & fine dinery, the Bullet (their take on gimlet, but with Bulldog gin), touched the spot & I was informed the mojitos were up to scratch too. Live music accompanied a fine friday night's banter & 'twas fortunate we'd already eaten as the joint was fully booked. So let's give a "Hurrah!" for one of Manchester's finest vintage traditions, the Whim Wham Club remains splendidly full of dancing frolicks.



As I put fingers to keyboard, Mr Murray was playing in an historic Wimbledon men's final. He is the first Brit to make it (remember, he's a Brit, not just a Scot, now, you know) since 1937.

Whilst Roger & Andy (went) at it, I filled you in on happenings since last I blogged. I took to the skies to spend a few days visiting one of my old stomping grounds: Paris. That's Paris, France (as the Americans have been heard to say). After all these years the city felt strangely familiar: Twitter entry: #Paris is how I remembered! Faint whiff of gitanes never far away, #efficienttransport, & #goodnosh. 
My host was, as they always are (love to you all!) fabulous. I had 2 touristy days & 2 working days - if you call, lounging on a balcony in 25 degrees whilst typing, munching & supping, work. The last night in Paris was spent at La Defense at a rather fabulous outdoor Swing & Rock & Roll party. Danced with the lovely locals & grabbed the lovely Phillipe to finish out the shim sham. Jean-Luc I think it was, from a local swing dancing organisation was a superb DJ and host. Must pick up flyers to stay in contact next time! #StillARookieAtNetworking! Great Balboa too & we all quite literally roasted as we danced away what my host reckoned was the hottest night of the year.

North Sea Swing summer party - not my crutches this time - sorry Hans!
Next day: a 7 hour roadtrip from Paris to Amsterdam. My longest in years - when I'm the driver, I always split journeys over 4 hours with a stop on the way, but my lovely Parisian host & chauffeur did great & we arrived in time for plenty of dancefloor frolicks at the Amsterdam Lindy Exchange Friday night. Really great band, & though tight on space, the room was high on atmosphere & camaraderie.

Days in Gouda, night in Amsterdam, Rotterdam & The Hague - can think of worse ways to spend a week. In my own summer house no less! Or backhaus as the locals call it. At any rate, the exchange passed well, plenty of dancing, & fun music. The saturday late night was my favourite part, my dancing had actually 'arrived' by then, (it feels like it's in baggage claim at first sometimes when I get to a new place, particularly if I've not social danced in a while (FYI anything more than 2 days is a while!) Iwas completely spoiled and reminded of the power of great food, lovingly prepared. NB: I've since had many more reminders in the UK, thanks to you, you know who you are!

FB post: Mmmmemories of Holland! Still fresh! Been teaching a lovely couple for their first dance this afternoon, always think of you two when dancing, surrounded by love & eating well :D — with Katja Winzeler and Hans Vd Horst. 

The Sunday before the summer party, we dined at a fantastic family-owned restaurant, regular subscribers to this blog will note my fondness for grills or in this case mini stoves on tables. Finest thick slivers (misnoma?) of steak, special sauce (was it? yes it was!) and mega fondue. Terrific food, wine, great people. What's not to like?

The fact that Rog now has had the title for almost 48 hours shows you how you can't rush perfection. In other words, I write these things, then sleep on them, then spend about an hour, sometimes more, attaching all the links to support it. It's not fast work but serves as reminder in my time to come of what the hell *that year* was all about...

Chin chin!

No comments:

Post a Comment